What elements of web content are you drawn to, or repelled by?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What elements of web content are you drawn to, or repelled by?

My Social Networking

Follow MissTerraK On Twitter Add MissTerraK on Facebook
    Visit MissTerraK's Youtube Channel

What elements of web content are you drawn to, or repelled by?

We all are aware that quality content is essential in marketing for many reasons and therefore attempt to write our articles and content to the best of our abilities.

We have a tendency to come at it from a marketer's vantage point, because that is what we do.

I believe that we should also view it from a potential customer's objective as well, so that our efforts can be well rounded.

So in order to help us be aware and also help those that are new to content or article writing, I thought we could share our likes and pet peeves while reading content on the web.

What are the things that will cause you to stay or cause you to click the close button while browsing?

Mz T

Read more on how to Learn Online Marketing and build a business with the ultimate Internet Marketing Strategy Guide

Blog Entries

My Social Networking

Follow Ord_Allenbea On Twitter Add Ord_Allenbea on Facebook
    Add Ord_Allenbea on Linkedin Follow Ord_Allenbea on Tumblr Visit Ord_Allenbea's Youtube Channel

Re: What elements of web content are you drawn to, or repelled by?

While many others will stand by the famous gurus that claim you should hype stuff up in order to get sales, I find it a huge turn-off. If you have to hype your stuff up in order to make sales then your product is not as good as your claim.

Read more on how to Learn Online Marketing and build a business with the ultimate Internet Marketing Strategy Guide

My Social Networking

Could you explain what "hype" is or maybe give an example?

I've always thought that hype was saying, hurry up and purchase, offer won't last long or a lot of "but waits" if you order now, blah, blah!

Or statements like "Best on the planet" or "more potent than TNT", etc.

So what exactly is hype to you?

I'm thinking it may mean different things to different people.

Mz T

Quote Originally Posted by Ord Allenbea
    While many others will stand by the famous gurus that claim you should hype stuff up in order to get sales, I find it a huge turn-off. If you have to hype your stuff up in order to make sales then your product is not as good as your claim.

Blog Entries

My Social Networking

Add Ord_Allenbea on Linkedin Follow Ord_Allenbea on Tumblr Visit Ord_Allenbea's Youtube Channel

Hype as defined by the dictionary is basically a lie. You could say in some form or another everybody that sells something does use borderline hyped up sales copy. Now this is a matter of opinion though because as you said it does mean different things to different people.

For example: I could say Marketers Domination has the best article marketing tools online. While that is a truthful statement for those that use the tools vs having used other tools that did not produce as promised. There are some that would consider that hype because they are satisfied with other tools they use. So we have a matter of opinion here.

Now if I was to say purchase now for a limited time at $29 a month and 1 year later it is still $29 a month then that would be an outright lie. Same thing if my sales copy said "only 10 spots left" and I have no intent on changing it.

The best policy in my opinion is to list honestly and exactly what your product or service does.

I think the key is extravagant or excessive promotion.

All hat, no cattle.

Talk the talk without walking the walk.

etc etc

My Social Networking

Thanks Guys!

So hype is basically souped up, supercharged bull crap? lol

One of the things that will make me click away from a page is something on both sides of the spectrum. Either totally nonsensical writing with misuse of words and or/terms all jumbled up without proper sentence structure or so many huge, large words in a sentence that it makes it impossible to understand. I don't want to pull out the dictionary to look up the meanings of four or five words just to understand what you're trying to state. It is not only a bore, but a waste of my precious time.

A happy medium will suffice, thank you very much!

Mz T

Live To Give

I don't know, call me strange (most people do) but I don't care so much about the content as I do the ease to contact them. Don't get me wrong, content is very important, but I'm repelled if there's no way to get in touch with the writer to ask tips, reasons for their ideas, etc. For some reason, it really irks me.

Unfortunately, hype sells, lack of hype sells less. I hate the way cars are sold. (Even though I sold them for 27 years). The problem? When you try to sell them in civilized manner, people do not buy them. I realized, if people do not want to be hyped, lied to & smacked around a bit, then THEY need to stop responding favorably to that stimulus! Until then, hype sells, sex sells, warm puppies sell, celebrity sells and oddities sell. All because that is what it takes to get people to buy. It is the buyer that determines the manner in which he/she is sold to. Don't believe me? Take a look:

:

My Social Networking

So it needs to be clever, or cute or sexy hype?

One thing I know for sure and that is that boring does not sell!

Mz T

Blog Entries

My Social Networking

Mark has a great point there. I think there is a line that should be drawn though course this is why the FTC has cracked down on those expert marketers (as they call themselves). I kind of like the way that clickbank will no longer allow any products to say "act now before the price goes up" "just for you today the price is $7.97 (normal price [s]$197.97[/s]".

As for the commercial Mark, yeah I seen that one on TV the other day and I was like "how lame".
    Quote Originally Posted by DogScout
    Unfortunately, hype sells, lack of hype sells less. I hate the way cars are sold. (Even though I sold them for 27 years). The problem? When you try to sell them in civilized manner, people do not buy them. I realized, if people do not want to be hyped, lied to & smacked around a bit, then THEY need to stop responding favorably to that stimulus! Until then, hype sells, sex sells, warm puppies sell, celebrity sells and oddities sell. All because that is what it takes to get people to buy. It is the buyer that determines the manner in which he/she is sold to. Don't believe me? Take a look:

: