What exactly are subdomains and how best are they used

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What exactly are subdomains and how best are they used

What exactly are subdomains and how best are they used

I know that subdomains are the name in front of the base domain name dot com.
    (For example blog*dot*domainname.com, or denver*dot*myfavoritevacationcity.com)

But how exactly are they used, how do you use them?

Do search engines view them as part of the main domain or are they looked at as separate entities?

Since domain names are hard to come up with these days, would I be OK to have keyword*dot*mygoofydomainname.com.

Or in the end, is a domain name just part of the overall recipe, it can't really hurt or help?

Thanks for thoughts.

Read more on how to Learn Online Marketing and build a business with the ultimate Internet Marketing Strategy Guide

Blog Entries

My Social Networking

Follow Ord_Allenbea On Twitter Add Ord_Allenbea on Facebook
    Add Ord_Allenbea on Linkedin Follow Ord_Allenbea on Tumblr Visit Ord_Allenbea's Youtube Channel

Re: What exactly are subdomains and how best are they used

Sub domain names are seen as a separate entity but can help boost the ranking of the main domain name. The site will be indexed and treated as a separate entity but if you provide links to the main site from the sub domain then you are helping to build up that main domain.

Many times when creating a 2nd or 3rd product marketers will use a sub domain name to launch that product before investing money into a domain name specific for that product. If the new product hits off good then these marketers would build a complete new site with a new domain name for the product.

This is a good way of testing your products before investing too much time or money. Sub domain names have many more uses such as building backlinks to your main domain to increase search engine rankings and traffic.

Read more on how to Learn Online Marketing and build a business with the ultimate Internet Marketing Strategy Guide

Secret Elite Dominator

I am looking to set up about four or five new sites around different products, so I take it that my main keyword would be the sub domain. My main domain is actually kimkitchener.com and the content of this site will have nothing to do with the products I am building the sites around. Would this make a difference to the search engines with the sudomains being non related to the main domain name.

Regards

Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Ord Allenbea
    Sub domain names are seen as a separate entity but can help boost the ranking of the main domain name. The site will be indexed and treated as a separate entity but if you provide links to the main site from the sub domain then you are helping to build up that main domain.

Many times when creating a 2nd or 3rd product marketers will use a sub domain name to launch that product before investing money into a domain name specific for that product. If the new product hits off good then these marketers would build a complete new site with a new domain name for the product.

This is a good way of testing your products before investing too much time or money. Sub domain names have many more uses such as building backlinks to your main domain to increase search engine rankings and traffic.

Blog Entries

My Social Networking

Add Ord_Allenbea on Linkedin Follow Ord_Allenbea on Tumblr Visit Ord_Allenbea's Youtube Channel

Yes use your main keyword, you would setup a sub domain name such as stevejobs . kimkitchener.com (without the spaces) and build your site on it. It does not matter that the content is related or not because it is seen as a different site in the search engines eyes. I would suggest that you do build a few sub domain names that are related though.

Quote Originally Posted by kimkitch
    I am looking to set up about four or five new sites around different products, so I take it that my main keyword would be the sub domain. My main domain is actually kimkitchener.com and the content of this site will have nothing to do with the products I am building the sites around. Would this make a difference to the search engines with the sudomains being non related to the main domain name.

Regards

Kim

Secret Elite Dominator

OK will do thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by Ord Allenbea
    Yes use your main keyword, you would setup a sub domain name such as stevejobs . kimkitchener.com (without the spaces) and build your site on it. It does not matter that the content is related or not because it is seen as a different site in the search engines eyes. I would suggest that you do build a few sub domain names that are related though.

My Social Networking

Follow Cassie On Twitter Add Cassie on Facebook

I am always confused about sub-domains and add-on domains. Now I understand sub-domains and how to use them but can you achieve the same thing with an add-on domain? :-\

Cassie

sub domain is an address like: my-subdomain.mydomain.com and usually has completely different content than the domain.

An add on domain is another URL you purchase from a registry and host on the same hosting account as your other domain. It can point to a sub domain, a folder or to the main domains root, (sometimes referred to as a 'parked domain'; but if pointed at the main domain's root, would enter the murky gray-green waters of duplicate content, although the SEs are getting better at figuring out that stuff :-\ ).

[size=0.7em]The above is the opinion of this dog and does not constitute, convey or intimate the opinions of Marking Domination, it's officers, employees or affiliated third parties. All contingent liabilities for this message are the responsibility of the author alone. Any disagreement with any part of this statement does not mean a disagreement with the entire statement. If there are any repercussions due to this statement, all hearings, suits and confrontations will be decided in the jurisdiction of Nevis or St. Kitts. If this statement has links to any other web sites, when you go to another site, you are subject to the privacy and security policies of that site. This statement or statement's author cannot attest to the accuracy of information provided there. Linking to a web site does not constitute an endorsement by this statement, this statement's author, Marketing Domination, or any of their affiliates or sponsors, or of the sponsors of the site or the products presented on the site. We monitor visits to this statement to identify any attempt to tamper with it. Tampering with this statement is against the law. If anyone tries to tamper with it, they may be punished under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986. This statement has created a Privacy Policy in order to demonstrate the statement's author's firm commitment to your privacy. The short version is: he will not sell or give away your name or any information about you, to anyone, without a court order. Any errors, omissions or typographical errors are to be deemed Non Recte Respondere. All arguments, disappointments and actions against errors, omissions or typographical errors will be decided in the jurisdiction of Lichtenstein. Bottom line? If you don't like it, lump it! (Nany-nany-boo-boo!)[/size]

Blog Entries

My Social Networking

Mark explained it pretty much. Personally I would never use add-on domains but for those that have reseller accounts it is almost needed. I don't think you can do the same things with an add-on domain as Mark said but who knows maybe one day the search engines will catch up with us. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Cassie
    I am always confused about sub-domains and add-on domains. Now I understand sub-domains and how to use them but can you achieve the same thing with an add-on domain? :-\

Cassie

A sub domain is like a Domain within a Domain. You may use a sub domain if you want to create a new section of your website that is separate from the rest of the website, such as a blog.

Last edited by Joseph; 07-13-2012 at 10:39 PM.

First of you learn all rules and regulation sub domain use good or bad so that you are use.