Website URL Extensions Are Ignored By Search Engines - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Website URL Extensions Are Ignored By Search Engines

Re: Website URL Extensions Are Ignored By Search Engines

My best performing site is a DOTinfo.

Funny thing is, I am always getting offers to buy the DOTcom version.

I always turn them down, DOTcom is so 1990's.

But still, I would get the DOTcom or DOTnet if available, as well.

Read more on how to Learn Online Marketing and build a business with the ultimate Internet Marketing Strategy Guide

Blog Entries

My Social Networking

Follow Ord_Allenbea On Twitter Add Ord_Allenbea on Facebook
    Add Ord_Allenbea on Linkedin Follow Ord_Allenbea on Tumblr Visit Ord_Allenbea's Youtube Channel

Some of this also does depend upon what you are promoting and how. For example advertising on a radio it would be easier to advertise a .com because it is generally accepted by the public as the very first domain name to go to.

Because the general public does accept .com or .net as the ext of choice, if you was to advertise a .info in the newspaper then many of those possible visitors will check the .com.

Read more on how to Learn Online Marketing and build a business with the ultimate Internet Marketing Strategy Guide

Surely a lot depends on the type of site you have. What you are selling and where. For instance I am based in the UK and sell into the Europe Union with, naturally the bulk of customers coming from the UK. So I have a .co.uk site and according to Google this is best for my company.

Blog Entries

My Social Networking

Add Ord_Allenbea on Linkedin Follow Ord_Allenbea on Tumblr Visit Ord_Allenbea's Youtube Channel

Obviously you would want to use .co.uk as that would be the same as using .com in the U.S.

It does not effect rankings though.

Quote Originally Posted by johnio
    Surely a lot depends on the type of site you have. What you are selling and where. For instance I am based in the UK and sell into the Europe Union with, naturally the bulk of customers coming from the UK. So I have a .co.uk site and according to Google this is best for my company.

Well as you say obviously, but taking the point made earlier, bizarrely, there are many companies here in the UK that think they will get a boost from having a .com rather than .co.uk, they concentrate too little on getting the actual site SEO'd correctly and realising that it is supposed to be somewhere where their prospective customers are attracted to and obtain adequate and up to date infomation, emphasising the need for continual updating.

Blog Entries

My Social Networking

Because they are looking at the "people naturally type in .com" statement. This is true to a degree but that is mainly for the U.S. If I lived in the UK then my first choice would be .co.uk. Having a .com will send them more traffic because the U.S. types in .com but this may not be converting customers. This mainly depends upon the business and if it is for locals or not.

Quote Originally Posted by johnio
    Well as you say obviously, but taking the point made earlier, bizarrely, there are many companies here in the UK that think they will get a boost from having a .com rather than .co.uk, they concentrate too little on getting the actual site SEO'd correctly and realising that it is supposed to be somewhere where their prospective customers are attracted to and obtain adequate and up to date infomation, emphasising the need for continual updating.

Yes that is my point but people have a misconception about these extensions .