Website URL Extensions Are Ignored By Search Engines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Website URL Extensions Are Ignored By Search Engines

Blog Entries

My Social Networking

Follow Ord_Allenbea On Twitter Add Ord_Allenbea on Facebook
    Add Ord_Allenbea on Linkedin Follow Ord_Allenbea on Tumblr Visit Ord_Allenbea's Youtube Channel

Website URL Extensions Are Ignored By Search Engines

I have noticed some post recently on other sites about url extensions and search engines. I am amazed at how many still think the extension of a url really matters. Search engines look at the quality of a site and the quality of that content before they do anything else.

The extension does not matter to any search engine. The extensions could be .html, .php, or even .cgi and can still rank just as high as anything else. Same goes for domain names although I know some may argue with the domain name fact.

When building your site you want to have a high quality, clean looking, seo'd site. This is what the search engines are looking for so why worry over the extension of a page or domain name. Provide the search engines with what they do want and you will be fine.

Read more on how to Learn Online Marketing and build a business with the ultimate Internet Marketing Strategy Guide

Re: Website URL Extensions Are Ignored By Search Engines

In my limited experience, I have noted that search engines look at 2-3 hundred different things when deciding return ranking. I have no doubt that page file extensions and domain extensions are in those considerations, (or your .ZIP downloads would get returned, lol).

No one has time to go over every single thing SEs consider. Surfing the web, it is painfully obvious that 99% of web masters do not have a handle on any of SEs considerations! I still see pages that have CSS H1 tags at 8 PTs and a list of keywords with that H1 tag in the footer. At the same time, I see pages with no meta tags or even description tags returned at position 1:1!

Back-links currently have some influence, but even those are waning. With Google's server farms as large as they are now, they have the computing power to park a spider at almost every web site, (see the front page here and you'll often find 2-3 Google spiders squatting on this site. Plus I see Baidu, the largest Chinese SE, (& arguably the worlds most powerful SE), have 7 spiders sitting here last night and this AM!. Certainly the SEs can squat at every popular site. They can see who goes where, for how long and how often they return without having to rely on back-links that can be 'artificially' created by web masters to influence the SE return rank. So look to see back-links having less and less weight in the algorithm.

(Notice on TV that almost every show and commercial plugs their web site, they are just looking for a visitor spike to make their site more popular in the SEs eyes. Of course, they also want you to buy something, but even purely information sites get plugged.)

Currently, the age of a domain OR how many years a domain is registered for have more weight than page or domain extension, ~in my experience~, yet few register a domain for more than 1-2 years. They'd get a return rank boast just by spending the $30-80 extra bucks to register their domain for 5 or 10 years.

Bottom line? Content apparently remains 'King'. Content seems to have the greatest effect on return ranking with in bound link popularity a semi-distant second. As stated above, I see a day in the not too distant future when visitors, bounce rate and visitors returning % become the second most weighty part of the algorithm.

Guess we'll see, huh? In the mean time, do not stress over any one factor SEs look at to decide return rank, focus on content and your pages will become naturally popular. With what I see out there, that should do it.

Read more on how to Learn Online Marketing and build a business with the ultimate Internet Marketing Strategy Guide

I agree, don't fret about any one factor more than another.

Someone much wiser (but not more handsome ) than me described SEO as a "pie recipe"

You might forget the pinch of salt, or not have any nutmeg, but what comes out of the oven is still a pie.

People will always try to game the system, so just stick with making the best pie you can, given the ingredients you have, and then build from there.

As for the URL, BobsChainSawEmporiumDotNet can still rank well for Greeting Cards if all the other factors are in place.

--Steve

My Social Networking

Follow MissTerraK On Twitter Add MissTerraK on Facebook
    Visit MissTerraK's Youtube Channel

I agree with you guys!

And as changes in a search engine's algorithm change as they always will (take the Panda for example) I see people scrambling everywhere and changing this and changing that within their content or site and always sort of chasing their tails and playing catch up.

It just seems to me that if you quit trying to game the search engines and using black hat methods, but continue adding that quality content to your site and utilizing a strategic marketing plan with those different ingredients of the pie, you would be much better off.

I mean it just makes sense to move forward instead of having to keep running back to clean up your crap with a poop scooper.

Mz T

Blog Entries

My Social Networking

Add Ord_Allenbea on Linkedin Follow Ord_Allenbea on Tumblr Visit Ord_Allenbea's Youtube Channel

Yes there are several hundred factors google and other search engines use to figure rank. Many of these factors people ignore due to bad advice, take the meta tags for instance, on certain SEO Forums they say they are ignored so do not use them.

Many follow this advice and do not use them any longer because an seo forum said so. According to google's blog they are increasing these factors but a domain name or page name would be the last thing I would worry about.

As Steve said "BobsChainSawEmporiumDotNet can still rank well for Greeting Cards if all the other factors are in place" which is correct.

Secret Elite Dominator

Many people say do not buy .info domain names as they are seen as spammy sites. What is your opinion on this as surely if they rank just as well as .com, .org and .net spending money on the . info domain as it is a lot cheaper would seem a wiser move.

Regards

Kim

Blog Entries

My Social Networking

The problem is when they first came out at $1.99 many spammers purchased a large range of the and started using them for spammy tactics. Some large ISP's blocked the .info from their entire network.

Quote Originally Posted by kimkitch
    Many people say do not buy .info domain names as they are seen as spammy sites. What is your opinion on this as surely if they rank just as well as .com, .org and .net spending money on the . info domain as it is a lot cheaper would seem a wiser move.

Regards

Kim

Secret Elite Dominator

So do you think that .info domains are worth purchasing nowadays, or are they still being blocked.

Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Ord Allenbea
    The problem is when they first came out at $1.99 many spammers purchased a large range of the and started using them for spammy tactics. Some large ISP's blocked the .info from their entire network.

Blog Entries

My Social Networking

I don't think there is anything wrong with getting one but I would go more towards a .com or .net first.

My Social Networking

Follow MissTerraK On Twitter Add MissTerraK on Facebook
    Visit MissTerraK's Youtube Channel

Hey Kim,

How about having a whateverinfo.com?

I mean let's say you were looking at kimkitch.info

Instead, see if kimkitchinfo.com was available.

Just a thought.

Mz T